Friday, November 23, 2018

Smoked Chile Scalloped Sweet Potatoes



I remember making this a few years ago, I though I had blogged about it but I guess not!

I decided to add it to our Thanksgiving meal rather than mashed potatoes and gravy.  It is a Bobby Flay recipe but I added Maple Syrup for a little sweet and spicy element.  If you really want to go over the top add chopped pecans!

Ingredients:

2 cups heavy cream
1 heaping tablespoon chipotle pepper puree (I tripled this)
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced 1/8-inch thick
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup of real maple syrup

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Whisk together cream, maple syrup and chipotle puree until smooth. 

In a buttered 9 by 9-inch casserole dish, arrange the potatoes in even layers. Drizzle with the cream mixture and season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cream, and salt and pepper till you run out of potatoes.  I had a little cream mixture left over.  You don't it swimming in cream but well covered.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes, remove cover and continue baking for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the cream has been absorbed and the potatoes are cooked through and the top is browned.


No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...