Saturday, February 9, 2019

Blueberry Orange Bread


I had some Blueberries to get rid of and a lonely Orange in my fridge.  I decided to make bread, which I enjoy more than the exact same thing in muffin form.  I think it is easier to manage.

It turned out beautifully and is relatively low in sugar and extra low in fat, only 2 Tablespoons of butter in the entire loaf.  I used Coconut Sugar because it has a lower glycemic load.  I also topped the loaf with one individual sized package of Sugar in The Raw or Turbinado Sugar, I find it gives anything baked a nice crunchy top.

Remember to zest your orange before you juice it.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar (I used Coconut Sugar)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine egg, orange juice, water, butter and orange peel. Add to dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in the blueberries. Pour into a greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pan.

2. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack.

**I cook my baked goods about 15 degrees less than most recipes calls for, an old Jewish Woman I met told me to always cook at a cooler temperate for more time and your breads will come out much better. I agree with her.        I cooked this at 325 for about an hour, checking every 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Clipping Path Service said...

Absolutely fantastic job you have done here.This is so nice.Thanks for sharing.

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...