Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Fried Potatoes and Onions

I faithfully follow the blog of Welcome Home and she shares some very tasty recipes. I noticed she posted one for Fried Potato and Onions a few weeks ago which hit home for me, it reminded me of the potatoes my dad used to fry up in his cast iron skillet on the weekends.

I requested my husband make them for me the following weekend and they were so delicious, thank you for the memories!


6 medium white potatoes (the right potato really makes the difference)
1 sweet onion
2 tbl butter
salt and pepper
2 tbl bacon fat (very important)

Slice the potatoes and onions, I used a mandolin to make it easier

Add the butter and the bacon grease to the pan, a cast iron works best

Fry the onion till just tender then add the potatoes, spreading them in a layer on the bottom of the skillet

Allow potatoes and onions to cook till golden brown and then flip to the other side and allow to continue to cook, as the onions start to caramelize you can scrape up those bits as you continue to cook the potatoes.

Cook until golden brown and a knife easily pierces the potato

No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...