Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Blueberry Cream Cheese Turnover


After a final trip to our local Farm Store before they close for the season, we stocked up on Blueberries and Raspberries. I have been thinking about making a berry and cream cheese turnover and today I decided to give it a try.

It is a simple recipe and so delicious, and satisfying, even for those who do not have a sweet tooth such as my husband.  I think next time I am going to use Maple Syrup for the sweetener.

1 pint blueberries, rinsed and picked over
1 brick cream cheese
2 tablespoons sugar (I have Vanilla Sugar which I used)
1/2 box of Puff Pastry (a box holds 2)
1 beaten egg

Place your puff pastry on the counter and let thaw, (takes about 30 minutes)

Place your cream cheese on the counter and let is soften while you are waiting for your puff pastry to thaw.

Mix the cream cheese, blueberries and sugar together well, I used my hands.

Smooth the puff pastry on the counter and flatten with your hand, cut into 4 pieces.

Place a large dollop of the cream cheese mixture on each square, you will have leftover cream cheese blueberry mixture.

Fold over into a triangle and using a the tines of  a fork, seal the edges (you may need to move the filling around to get it to close, don't overfill)

Using a pastry brush, paint the turnovers with the beaten egg mixture, be sure and cover the entire turnover.  Using a knife make one or two small slits in the top of the turnover.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  Let cool and serve alone or with ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...