Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Strawberry and Rhubarb Crisp





I was busy making a Strawberry and Rhubarb Galette for hubby, and I and had a bunch of leftover filling so I decided I would make a Crisp for some of my Husband's friends at work.

I have these sweet mini Emil Henry ceramic pie dishes a dear friend gave me years ago so I used them.   The filling is easy to make and the crisp part is only three ingredients.  This will easily make 6 Crisps if you use Ramekins.  Alternately you can use one of the smaller sized square casseroles.

1 cup of strawberries, stem removed sliced in half
1 cup or about 3 stalks of Rhubarb sliced (when cutting the ends off, it may act like it wants you to peel the skin off, go ahead but don't obsess on it)
1/4 cup of Sugar (I have Vanilla Sugar so I used that)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Orange Zest
2 TBL AP flour
Pinch of Salt

Place all the above ingredients in a bowl and stir well, set aside and let macerate for a few minutes while you make the topping.

Topping
2 cups of Rolled Oats, I used Rudi's Gluten Free Granola
4 Tablespoons of butter, melted
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Mix well, set aside

1.  Place your fruit mixture in the Ramekin or whatever you want to use
2.  Place in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes
3.  Mixture should be bubbly and the topping crisp
4.  Remove from oven, let cool and top with whipped cream or ice cream

No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...