Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Molasses Cookies


I have never made Molasses cookies before, but my husband hounded me until I broke down and made them. He does not like sweets much, but he loved these cookies, they aren't overly sweet are nice and chewy, and a bit spicy.

I found the recipe on the Joy of Baking Website, they have some great recipes! Check it out!

One other thing I had to share that I am very excited about, I was contacted by the Saturday Evening Post asking permission to use one of our Photo's in their Bi-Monthly Magazine, I am so exited!

On to the recipe! This one is a keeper.

2 cups AP flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter at room temperature
1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 tbl Vegetable or Canola Oil
1/3 cup Unsulphured Molasses (spray your measuring cup with pan spray and it will come out cleanly)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp Vanilla
Granulated sugar for garnish

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees

Sift or whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices, set aside

In the bowl of your electric mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes)

Add the oil, molasses, egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated, add the flour mixture and continue to beat until well mixed

Cover and chill until firm about 2 hours or even overnight

Place about 1 cup of granulated sugar in a bowl and roll the dough into 1 inch balls (I use a one inch scooper) and roll them around in the sugar (coat well)

Place on your Silpat/baking sheet or baking sheet sprayed with pan spray, you should be able to fit 12 of them on a large size baking sheet (using the flat bottom of a glass flatten each cookie slightly)

Bake for 9 minutes only, they should be a bit underdone, they will firm up as they sit

Makes 2 dozen cookies

7 comments:

Marjie said...

Cheryl, thanks for visiting me and introducing yourself! These cookies sound similar to gingerbread, which I just love! I'm not much of a cookie maker, due to needing a minimum of 6 to 8 dozen in order to keep the hungry horde happy for an hour or so, but I do love them!

Marjie

Pam said...

They look fantastic Cheryl (great photo). Molasses cookies are one of my very favorite. Bookmarked!

sophia said...

Are they chewy or crunchy? I just want to rip one off the plate and chomp on one!! Mind the crumbs, please! >__<

Unknown said...

Mmm - those look absolutely delicious!!

Hey - can I ask you something? How do you make chocolate chip cookies that are really CHEWY?? when I was little girl living in America, my favourite snack was Dunken Hines Choc Chip Cookies - I liked them coz they were chewy, rather than most cho chip cookies in the UK which are hard and crumbly. Same here in NZ & Oz...I just haven't been able to find any chewy ones. A distant friend once made a batch of really delicious chewy ones but we left NZ before I saw her again and could ask her for the recipe. I've tried lookign online but can't seem to find anything. I'm not really into baking but I'd be willing to give it a shot just so I could get my CHEWY cookies! :-)

Thanks,
Hsin-Yi

Dewi said...

Oh, I never made this molasses cookies, looks tempting Cheryl.

Btw,
thank you for your info about katsu sauce. Have you ever made dish with sauce?

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never tried these!

grace said...

classic. my mammy makes these every year during the christmas season, and they're a favorite--the roll in sugar is the best part!

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...