Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Roasted Turkey Breast


I love Turkey, it is a real comfort food for me, and we make it all year long. We smoke it, barbecue it, deep fry it and roast it! I used a fresh Turkey Breast (thank you my local Haggen Store) for this one. It turned out wonderfully! I served with mashed potatoes loaded with chives!

1 turkey breast = two actual breast halves
  • 6-7 leaves of fresh sage, stems removed chopped fine
  • 1/2 cube unsalted butter at room temperature
  • salt and fresh cracked pepper
score the sternum of the beast (not all the way thru to the meat), with a sharp knife, flip the turkey over, and crack it so it lies flat

mix the butter and sage together until well incorporated

using your hands separate the skin so you can place the sage butter between the skin and the breast meat (save some for the outside)

massage the remaining sage butter on the outside of the bird

sprinkle with salt and pepper

Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 2 to 2.5 hours, internal temp of 165, the carryover heat will finish it for you at 170 degrees
I highly recommend a temperature probe (which you place in the breast and it will beep when the requested temp is reached)

Remove from oven, tent with foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes

Carve and serve

SHOUT OUT!

I was given a Brillante Weblog award by For The Love Of Cooking. Thank you so much for the award, I appreciate it very much! You inspire me to be a better cook!

The rules for receiving the award are as follows:
Post the logo on your blog.
Add a link to the person who nominated you
Nominate 5 other people for this award and add links to their blogs.
Leave a message for the people you've nominated

I don't have much time to view other blogs, so if you are reading this, I nominate YOU (yes I am pointing at you). Go for it!

6 comments:

Pam said...

That's my kind of dinner! It looks really tasty.

Raquel said...

Turkey!!! We love turkey. This sounds simply divine - a definite must-do in the future! Much love - Raquel XO

Paula said...

This is a perfect mean for the downturn in outdoors temperature that we've had lately! I don't know why we don't eat turkey outside of the holiday season. It's always so good,and your recipe looks great! I'm going to try that split/flat method you used. And those potatoes ... get me a spoon! YUM!

Paula said...

Oh, gee. That should read "perfect meal" not mean.

MaryBeth said...

Fresh hot turkey, it does not get any better.

amandalouden said...

looks really great. beautiful pup.

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...