Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Beef Stew

As Fall is here, with cooler temperatures, I am inspired to make soup, often.  I realized that I had not made Beef Stew for many years, so I decided it was time.  I checked around the interwebs and found a few recipes, then did my own version.   It was very tasty and comforting.  I served it over rice.





Ingredients

2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 32 oz Beef Broth (I recommend Pacific Brand)
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tbl Worcestershire
2 tbl A1 steak sauce
2 tbl beef base
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons cold water

Directions

In a large pot or dutch oven, cook beef in oil over medium heat until brown. Dissolve bouillon/beef base in 1 cup of water and pour into pot. Stir in rosemary, parsley, and pepper. Add beef broth, A1 and Worcestershire.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.

Stir potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion into the pot. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 teaspoons cold water and stir into stew. Cover and simmer 1 hour more.

Serve alone or with rice.

No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...