Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Easy Microwave Risotto

I love Risotto, yet rarely make it and only on special occasions, mostly due to the time and effort involved.  I had never heard about making Risotto in the microwave until a friend mentioned it to me.  I immediately made it that night and I was very impressed.  I don't think I could tell the difference in a blind taste test between preparations.

I tweaked the recipe a bit, by sautéing the Shallot and Garlic in some Olive Oil before adding to the bowl.  I further tweaked it by adding some Onion.  There are so many options you could use, peas, mushrooms, tomato, etc.  You could add a protein or change up the Sherry and use White Wine.



4 Servings

Ingredients

1 tablespoon fruity olive oil
2 Mushrooms Chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 large garlic clove, finely chopped
1/8 cup minced onion
1 cup Arborio rice
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry sherry
Pinch of Saffron
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese


Preparation

Stir together the oil, garlic, mushroom and onion in a medium non stick saucepan.  Sautee for 5 minutes or so until fragrant and translucent.  Transfer to the bowl you will be cooking the Risotto in.  Add the cup of rice to the bowl.

Heat the 2 cups of broth and place the Saffron into it to bloom for a few minutes.

Mix in the broth and the sherry, cover, and microwave on HIGH for 18 minutes.

Stir to see if broth is absorbed and risotto is creamy. If not, microwave for another 2 to 5 minutes, then stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve.

No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...