Friday, January 1, 2016

Chunky Apple Snack Cake




Since it is Apple Season in Oregon I want to take advantage of it as much as possible.  I realized today I had three kinds of apples in my fridge, a small Red Delicious, a medium Granny Smith and a huge Honeycrisp. I figured what the heck, lets see what we can make.

I saw this recipe on the Noble Pig's website, she has been Food Blogging as long as I have.  I tweaked the recipe to make it a bit healthier and it was so good, no frosting required.


2 cups granulated sugar (I used 1 1/4 cup Vanilla Sugar and 4 Equal Packets)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 cup of Coconut Oil and 1/2 cup of Apple Sauce
1 Tablespoon vanilla
4 cups (6-8 apples) Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered and diced coarsely
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 9 x 13 pan by spraying it with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.

In a small bowl combine eggs, oil and vanilla; add this to the sugar-flour mixture in the large bowl.

Mix thoroughly. Batter will be stiff (do not use mixer). SHE IS NOT KIDDING

Add the apples and walnuts. Pour into baking pan and cook for 50-60 minutes or until the middle springs back when touched.

Serve with whipped cream. Feel free to make this cake a day ahead, the flavor only improves.

No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...