Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Caprese Tart



I have made tomato tarts for a few years now and decided to do it again, but with a twist!

I grow my own Sun Glow Orange Tomatoes this year as well as a ton of Basil, so I thought Caprese Salad but in Tart format.  I purchased some gorgeous Buffalo Mozzarella and got started.  It was fresh, tasty and seasonal.  I highly recommend it!

1 basket of Cherry Tomatoes (I used my home grown ones, about 25 of em)
1 package Puff Pastry (you will only use 1) at room temperature
Sliced Buffalo Mozzarella
10 Basil leaves washed and cut into a chiffonade
2 tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil

salt and pepper to taste
1 beaten egg

Heat your oven to 400 degrees and mix the tomatoes with the olive oil and a bit of salt

Roast on a sheet pan in the oven for about 20 minutes, remove and let cool

Reduce heat to 350

In the meantime, get your puff pastry out and place on a cutting board, you may need a bit of flour, I did it right on the sheet pan I was baking it on

You will cut off about 1 inch strips all the way around, you are going to build a dam to hold your ingredients

Brush your puff pastry with the beaten egg, then place the strips on each side (cutting off excess), bake for 20 minutes until lightly brown, remove and set aside

Place your tomatoes on top and add your sliced Buffalo Mozzarella.

Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese melts a bit.

Sprinkle on your Basil, let rest a few minutes and serve.



No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...