Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pear Butter


I did this post over the summer and forgot to post it! We don't have Pears in season in January, although I wish we did!

I had somehow thought that Pear Butter contained actual butter, luckily my Mother In Law explained otherwise. While we were on a family Peach Picking trip I also picked up a few pears. They were getting ripe and I had zero time to do much with them. I stopped by my Mother In Laws house and she was busy making Pear Butter, so I decided I would do the same.

It is actually quite easy and very Delicious. Being the wild child I am, I added a few extra ingredients to make it special!

6 pears, peeled and core removed, cut into chunks
1/4 cup Vanilla sugar
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger

Place your pears in a saucepan on low heat (do not add water or any liquid), add the sugar and spices and let simmer until it has reduced and become thick (this may take several hours)

Place in a blender or use an immersion blender until smooth

It will keep in the fridge for a few weeks, put on just about anything from ice cream to toast!

15 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I think I would really like pears in this form..I don't care for them due to their texture.If this is half as good as our home made pumpkin butter it would be fantastic!

teresa said...

mmm, i just keep thinking of all the great things you could do with this!

Tam Hess said...

Pear butter sounds so yummy right now. I love the picture too!

sophia said...

I was at Quebec City, and I saw this jar of chocolate pear butter once....I wonder how you would add chocolate to this? either way, I've never tried pear butter before, and would love a taste of this! The only fruit butter I've made is with apple!

Lyndas recipe box said...

Yum, I love pear butter, but have never made it! I'll have to give yours a try Cheryl. Love the spices you added.

tamilyn said...

I bet on ice cream it would be delightful :) Well, for those in my house who like ice cream (not me)...

Marjie said...

Amazingly easy! I love pears, too. And now you have me wanting some.

Debbie said...

I've never had this before but it sounds wonderful to have over ice cream!!!

Anonymous said...

We call this a pear mousse instead of pear butter! It looks fab & tasty too, my friend!

Kisses from Brussels to you!

Pam said...

I can't believe how easy it is. It looks and sounds so tasty Cheryl!

a frog in the cotage said...

can't wait for pears to come back on trees !!!

Angela said...

I all about the butters! This recipe makes me think about the farmer's market and long for spring.

URBakin'MeCrazyy said...

Hello,! My name is Megan. I'm 15 and like you, I love to make food ! :) Like you, I have a blog.! I am very impressed with your blog and would like to include a link to your blog on mine.

Here's the link to my blog:
http://urbakinmecrazyy.blogspot.com/

Thanks!
Have an EXCELLENT day :)

Kristen said...

That must be a little like apple butter (I've never heard of pear butter before)

Unknown said...

I have never heard of this before. I love unusual recipes. This would make an awesome gift.

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...