Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoe's


I have always wanted to try Fried Green Tomato's, but in Oregon it is not something we have on Restaurant menu's. I looked for them at the Farmers Market last weekend to no avail.

Luckily, I was visiting with my neighbor Pam and she had a bag full of green ones! She gave them to me and I found the following recipe from my heart throb Tyler Florence online, which I must say was wonderful! The tomatoes are tart, that combined with the crispy coating and spicyness, was freaking amazing!

I followed the recipe mostly, but added a few more spices, and tripled the Cayenne. I served it with a sauce comprised of Ranch Dressing and Tabasco. One thing which will make them stay crispy longer is to NOT drain on paper towels, use a cookie cooling rack over a jelly roll pan, it lets the grease drip off and your fried foods stay crisp!

Ingredients

1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder (I doubled this)
Pinch cayenne (I used 3 pinches)
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large unripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices, ends removed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Hot pepper sauce, for serving
Lemon wedges, for serving

Directions

In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne together.

Pour the buttermilk into a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Dip the tomatoes in the buttermilk and then dredge them in the cornmeal mixture, coating both sides well.

Place a large skillet over medium heat and coat with the oil. When the oil is hot, pan-fry the tomatoes (in batches if necessary) until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

Carefully remove the tomatoes and drain on paper towels.

Serve with hot pepper sauce and lemon.

17 comments:

Pam said...

They look absolutely perfect! You can't go wrong with Tyler's recipes.

The Blonde Duck said...

Just like the movie!

teresa said...

i actually just read the book and saw the movie, such a cute story. i would love to try these!

Lyndas recipe box said...

They must be good if you liked them, and it's Tyler's recipe---I have to admit that I have only eaten them twice, and both times didn't care for them. So now I've got to give your version a chance. After all, everyone around here in Mo. loves them and I always feel like the oddball! :)
Thanks!

Juliana said...

Never had fried green tomatoes...something that I'd love to try :-)

♥peachkins♥ said...

I've always wanted to do this too!



The Peach Kitchen
peach and things
blowing peachkisses

tamilyn said...

I always thought it was more a southern thing. I know my dad has eaten them now that they retired down south. Not a tomato fan (I know, I know)

Anonymous said...

looks delicious! i've never had them, but i heard they're a southern specialty!

MaryMoh said...

Wow...looks like perfect fritters! They look very delicious...mmm. I don;t think I have seen any green tomatoes here in Scotland. I think I have to plant myself :D

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

your goiong to wind up being a Southern Belle. They are total eye candy. they look so crsipy in your picture.

Have you ever tried Louisiana Hot Sauce? Try it and see how you like it up against Tabasco.

Faith said...

Those tomattos look wonderful. I should give this a try soon. Thanks for sharing.

sophia said...

I've heard of fried green tomatoes, but have never came across them. It's hard to find green tomatoes! I once thought they were tomatillos.
I think I would absolutely love these in a sandwich, with pickles. Mmm....

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I never realised fried green tomatoes are a real thing! I always thought they were just an expression or something! Those look so delicious - I want to reach right through the computer and grab one! :-)

Hsin-Yi

Jessica said...

Mmm such a delicious classic!

Lea Ann said...

These look perfect! I've never tried Fried Green Tomatoes and might just have an opportunity this year, my tomatoes aren't doing well and don't know if they'll ever ripen.

Kathy said...

Yum! One of my favorites!!!!!

Foodiewife said...

Hey Cheryl... I've gone missing as a blog visitor. I'm finally catching up. Pulled pork.. yummy. Fried Green Tomatoes... I made this very recipe and loved them. Your photo makes me crave them again. Double Yummy!

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...