Monday, February 22, 2010

Strawberry and Cheese Danish


I was lazily watching the Barefoot Contessa awhile back and saw her make Cheese Danish's. I dreamt of the yummy ones they sell at Costco, and since I had everything on hand to make some, I decided to try it.

It is quite easy and pretty tasty, I added strawberries to the mix and made a few changes based on other peoples input from the Food Network Website. I have to say they aren't that pretty to look at, but they sure are delicious!

The most important this is to refrigerate the filling for about an hour before assembling the pastry.

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
2 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
2 tablespoons ricotta cheese (I used fat free sour cream)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest (2 lemons, I used one)
2 sheets (1 box) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
10 large Strawberries, rinsed, and diced small

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F

Use a silpat or grease your non stick sheet pan

Place the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and cream them together on low speed until smooth. With the mixer still on low, add the egg yolks, ricotta or sour cream, vanilla, salt, and lemon zest and mix until just combined. Don't whip!

Mix in the strawberries and place in the refrigerator

Unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured board and roll it slightly with a floured rolling pin until it's a 10 by 10-inch square. Cut the sheet into quarters with a sharp knife. Place a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling into the middle of each of the 4 squares.

Brush the border of each pastry with egg wash and fold 2 opposite corners to the center, brushing and overlapping the corners of each pastry so they firmly stick together. Brush the top of the pastries with egg wash.

Place the pastries on the prepared sheet pan. Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry and refrigerate the filled Danish for 15 minutes.

Bake the pastries for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan once during baking, until puffed and brown. Serve warm.

10 comments:

Maria said...

Oooh, what a great breakfast treat!

Debbie said...

Looks delicious Cheryl. These would be wonderful with some coffee!

teresa said...

yeah, i'll have ten of those to go, thanks!

sophia said...

Uh, wow. This looks insanely delicious. I actually have begun a "sweet treat" wednesday...I think these will be perfect!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I am definitely in the modd for those right now. I like how you have them plated...makes me long for Spring!

Pam said...

I think they look wonderful - wish I had one right now with my coffee.

Jan said...

I wouldn't say no to one of these, yum.

MaryBeth said...

This is my most favorite danish to get when i go to cannon beach...

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Looks fabulous... sorry I haven't been around for awhile, I moved to the US Virgin Islands (I still giggle when I say that) for six months, and it is taking awhile to get settled. But i do think I am caught up, and will be back reading each of your new posts as usual...

Come take a look at my new blogs of Island life!

There is not a donut shop around, so i absolutely need to start looking closer at these recipes. Anything like this is going to have to come out of my oven

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh yum yum yum!

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...