Sunday, March 15, 2009

St. Patricks Day Feast



Since St. Patricks Day is nearly upon us, I thought I would share the recipes I made to celebrate the annual Feast Day which celebrates Saint Patrick, one of the patron saints of Ireland. I made a somewhat traditional meal of Corned Beef, Roasted Red Potatoes with Rosemary and Thyme, and Purple Cabbage done in a modern way!

I will be sharing all of these recipes with you this week!

The first one I will share is my Corned Beef Recipe, I checked around the Internets, found a few recipes I liked and then added my own twist! As I usually do!

I have only cooked Corned Beef Brisket once before and when my husband tasted this one, he said it was incredible and he was proud of me, AWWWWWW! I got a new car this weekend and am already on a HIGH!!! Now I am floating! He likes it!

3-4 lbs of Corned Beef Brisket (vacuum packed)
1 tsp dill
Add the spice packet from the Brisket
3 tbl Cider vinegar
1 tbl green peppercorns
3 tbl of a grainy mustard
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large bottles of Guinness Beer
4 tbl brown sugar
mustard of your choice, I used Dijon and the grainy mustard

Place your brisket in your pot or dutch oven and pour in both beers. Add the spice packet, and the remaining ingredients (except the brown sugar)

Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and continue to simmer approximately 50 minutes to one hour per pound of meat, until tender. I checked with my handy dandy instant read thermometer, you want at least 170 degrees.

Remove the meat from the pan and place on a non stick cookie sheet (SAVE THE DRIPPINGS FOR YOUR CABBAGE)

Mix the brown sugar and more mustard together to make a paste, which you will spoon on your meat and spread all over it.

Place in an oven at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes (use convection if you have it).

Remove, let rest and slice into thin slices

14 comments:

MaryBeth said...

HUH....It would look like great minds think alike yet again, ok this time however I think we will not be alone in the making of corned beef. I just made mine tonight for dinner and will be posting it on St. Patrick's Day, your version looks great.

Elyse said...

Your corned beef looks fabulous! I'm so excited about all of your St. Patty's recipes. You're off to a great start with this one!

Donna-FFW said...

Looks awesome Cheryl. 2 bottles of Guiness, sounds interesting.We love corned beef here.. but FFH wont stray from his firehouse keeper recipe.. Maybe I can sneak this one on him. Congrats on your new car!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Corned beef and brisket? Be still my heart! Tasty, tasty, tasty!

Debbie said...

I will be making a corned beef tonight. Still have not decided exactly how to cook it this year since I usually always use a slow cooker. Yours looks great and I like the idea of the Guinness!!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your corned beef looks so delicious. This recipe is definitely a keeper. I like the addtion of Guiness too, very clever twist!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

Looks so DAMN Yummy!!!

Cheryl said...

Corned beef is on tap for tomorrow night. I think I may use my crockpot and see how that is.

Maria said...

Happy St. Patty's day to you!

Pam said...

I love corned beef - it looks really tasty Cheryl. A new car? I thought you were selling one!

Anonymous said...

Anonny Muss: Freakin YUMMY. Get IN MY BELLY!!!

Heather said...

happy st. pats! this looks so delicious! i love corned beef!! mmmmmmmmm.

Jan said...

A new car, lucky you! I think I will be driving my old banger (she's called Lizzie), until she fall to pieces around me, but I love her anyway.

Your corned beef sounds scrummy.

test it comm said...

That is one nice looking corned beef! I like that you cooked it in Guinness. I also tried a glazed version this year and really liked it.

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...