Sunday, January 11, 2009

Milk Chocolate Surprise Baby Cakes


I love making cakes and I especially like experimenting. Today, I decided to bake a milk chocolate cake and have a sweet surprise in the middle. I mixed cream cheese, toffee bits and a bit of Kaluah together, and added them to the middle of my sweet little cakes. They were soo tasty, no frosting was needed!~ and I got a thumbs up from my favorite taste tester!

My husband reminded me of the trick a sweet little old Jewish baker shared with me that keeps your cakes, cupcakes, etc from developing that rounded top. You cook your cakes at no more than 300 degrees, ALWYAYS. You have to monitor it a bit more, but it works every single time!!!

1 brick of cream cheese, softened at room temp
1 16 oz bag of Toffee Chips
1 Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate Cake Mix
1 tbl Kaluah
Confectioners sugar for the top

Make your cake according to the package directions

Mix your softened cream cheese, toffee bits and Kaluah until well combined

Using a well greased muffin tin or any decorative cake pans you might have (a bunt cake pan would work as well), fill about 1/2 way full of cake batter

Using a spoon, add a large tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture, spreading it evenly betweeen all your muffins (you may need to add more to use up the mixture).

Add another dollop of cake batter on top spreading evenly between all your muffins.

Tap your muffin tin on the counter until the batter settles down and is flat on the top.

Bake in a 300 degree oven for approximately 40 minutes, checking often. When a knife pulls out clean they are done.

Let cool, invert onto a plate and dust with confectioners sugar

18 comments:

MaryBeth said...

We are getting some of this on Saturday Right... ;o)

test it comm said...

That would be a nice surprise! The cake looks great!

Heather said...

how cute are those?! i love toffee and khalua! i'll bet it tastes pretty darn good :)

Muneeba said...

never seen this with milk chocolate before ... very different but looks AWESOME! Any substitute for the alcohol?

NuKiwi said...

They look really nice....but YOU used a boxed cake mix?!? Tsk, tsk, tsk...how could you?!? LOL :o)

Chocolate Shavings said...

That's a great tip, I will be sure to try it next time I bake. Your cake looks delicious, and I'm sure the toffee bit mixture inside only makes it better!

pigpigscorner said...

Looks nice! And the toffee surprise sounds amazing!

Ginger said...

Wow, can you imagine showing up to coffee hour with this in tote?? I think I would be the talk of the hour. I hope that mine looks as good as yours. I am making this.

Cheryl said...

OMG...looks delish! I'll try that tip the next time I do a cake. I hate the rounded top. :-)

Debbie said...

The cake looks great and thank you for the tip. I will try this when I bake....

Pam said...

So pretty and tasty too - I love the surprise in the middle.

MortonFamily said...

I would love to see a picture with a bite taken out of it!!! How long did it take to bake at 300? I want to try this now!!!!!!

Jan said...

Totally decadent, Cheryl. They look yummylicious, great job!

Amy said...

That looks super yummy! The surprise part sounds really good. Do I get some? ;)

Paula said...

Whoa ... that looks like something from a fancy pastry shop! My hubby would LOVE this, especially with the surprise filling. He loves those lava cakes, too. I want to lick up that sauce on the plate! YUM!

The Blonde Duck said...

I just stopped in to say hi! I love the cake and the frugal household tips!

MaryBeth said...

I didn't see any of this come my way Saturday..what's up with that?

MaryBeth said...

Oh I see...

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...