Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Homemade Applesauce


I realized the other day I have never made applesauce in my entire LIFE! I decided to remedy that issue and I made it this morning, after all they are in season locally. It tastes soooooo much better than store bought applesauce, however, the ROI is not worth it for a long term solution to your applesauce needs.

By adding the cinnamon sticks during cooking it adds a very nice, but not overpowering cinnamon taste.

This makes a small batch, about 1 cup of applesauce
  • 4 apples, peeled cored, diced into fairly large chunks (any kind you like)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • sugar to taste or equal
Add the apples, water and cinnamon sticks to your pan, bring to a boil, then add lid, lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes until tender.

Drain water, as much as you can, remove the cinnamon sticks, return to pan.

Sweeten to taste, it will be chunky, you can put it in the blender, food mill or use a stick blender to make it more like a supermarket brand consistency, but we liked it chunky.

6 comments:

Raquel said...

I love, love, love homemade chunky applesauce. Beautiful pic! Much love, Raquel XO

Pam said...

Yum. I love applesauce, especially with pork. Looks really good Cheryl!

Jenny said...

Hi Cheryl,
Just found your blog through Blissfully Delish. I am a food contributor there as well. I look forward to visiting here often. Beautiful recipes!

Paula said...

Yummy on the applesauce! I like mine smooth but thick. I tend to eat it more in the Fall and Winter. Years ago, I tried warm applesauce that had some of those cinnamon red hots (the little red candies) melted into it. I have to admit that it was really tasty.

Jan said...

And I thought we were going to get the homemade dog food recipe.
Dang! ;-)

Seriously, Cheryl, it looks good. Martha doesn't eat this too, does she?

Unknown said...

I made this applesauce yesterday..Came out too good.Thanks for the recipe.

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...