Monday, September 8, 2008

Bananna Upside Down Cake




I cannot even remember where I got this recipe I have been making it for so long! It is a great way to use up bananas and after you invert it, the Carmel crust is delicious. Instead of the usual cake, try this, you won't be sorry!

1 cup (2 sticks unsalted butter) at room temperature
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 t0 3 ripe firm bananas peeled and cut diagonally
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
2 cup flour
1 tbl baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup milk, you can use any type

Preheat your oven to 350

You need a round cake pan, non stick is preferable

Place 1 cube of butter and the brown sugar into your cake pan, and melt on the stovetop, mixing constantly until it incorporates and becomes like liquid carmel
Arrange your banana slices in the carmel mixture overlapping

Beat remaining butter and 1 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl

Add vanilla and eggs and beat until smooth

Sift 2 cups flour and the baking powder/salt into a bowl

Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to butter mixture

Spoon carefully over the bananas

Bake until puffy and brown about an hour (this can vary, check at 50 minutes)

Transfer to rack and cool

Invert onto cake plate or serving platter

I serve with whipped cream

Do not tell Grandma about this!

8 comments:

Paula said...

Oh yum, I've never seen a recipe like this before! Boy, I'd sure love a good sized slice of this right this very minute. Carmel and bananas are always a hit in my book. It looks so fancy, but doesn't seem to be too hard to make! YUM!

Pam said...

Looks really good Cheryl - I have never had banana cake before. I love that you let Martha lick the spoon.

Jan said...

Drat, I can't eat bananas, I love them, but they hate me. That cake looks so good.

You pamper that kid, you know. :-)

Family First said...

Great idea to finish up all the bananas on the counter cos I always end up making a simple banana cake. I just did a peach upside down cake and its really good too. Give it a try and tell me if you like it too!

Heather said...

oh this looks good! i love bananas... saw you on tastespotting.. beautiful pictures! i have a rather large lap puppy as well :)

Brilynn said...

I made a Bill Granger version of this last year that included maple syrup, it was awesome!
Yours looks great!

Anonymous said...

I love bananas and upsidedown cakes and this looks delicious. How much butter should be used for the topping ? The recipe didn't specify. Thanks.

Raquel said...

Wonderful, wonderful! Kind of like a banoffe? I would snarf this up! I have a recipe for a cherry upside down cake that I am going to try some time! Much love, Raquel XO

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...