Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Mama's Cole Slaw Recipe



My husband goes crazy for this Cole slaw, (talking about him again, dang it, I can't stop!). It is super easy to make and gets better with time in the fridge. I am making brisket sandwiches for the boyz tomorrow and wanted to include my Cole slaw! We purchased a Traeger Smoker last weekend and smoked our first brisket, however we forgot to take pictures.

8 cups finely chopped cabbage (I use half cabbage and half broccoli slaw) which you can find in the salad section.
1/4 shredded carrots (I skip this as the broccoli slaw has carrots)
Raisins (my mom added them, hubsters does not like so I omit)

The dressing

1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used the low fat variety)
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper, you could use white pepper, I like fresh ground
1 1/2 tbl white vinegar
2 1/2 tbl lemon juice

Mix well, taste and re-season if needed to your liking.
Combine with your shredded cabbage and broccoli slaw.
Refrigerate and it will improve with a few hours in the fridge

3 comments:

Kevin said...

This is a simple and tasty sounding coleslaw.

Krysta said...

i love cole slaw almost more than i love the blueberry muffins you just posted about.

Paula said...

Great cole slaw recipe, especially with the inclusion of buttermilk. Yum! I bet it tasted great with the brisket. How do you like your new smoker?

Pepper Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin

We were at or local Butchers, Ponderosa Provisions and noticed they had pepper bacon, so we grabbed a pound and a nice looking sma...