Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chicken Broccoli Casserole




I found this recipe in a Woman's Magazine, it is in the Cookbook by Tricia Yearwood. It is delicious, and the touch of lemon really adds a great flavor. I made a few changes to the recipe, mostly in the assembly, and will make a few more next time, which I will add at the bottom. This is a keeper according to my husband! By the way it makes at least 8 servings!

Ingredients:
cooking spray
2 cups cooked rice
3 cups broccoli (recipe says cooked, I left mine raw and it was perfect)
6 cups boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (I baked my breasts then cut into cubes)
1 can, 10 oz condensed cream of chicken soup (I used the low fat one)
3 cups shredded cheddar
1 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used the low fat version)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
Method:
Heat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly coat a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray
Spread the rice evenly in the bottom of the dish
Add the Broccoli on top of the rice, spread evenly
I added the cubed chicken next
*In a large bowl mix the soup, 2/3 of the cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, juice, salt and pepper. I also added 3/4 soup can of water to thin it out enough to pour
*Pour the mixture on evenly, spreading to the edge, top with the remaining cheese and bake for 40 minutes until golden and bubbly. Let rest at least 5 minutes then serve.

**Next time I serve this I will add diced water chestnuts for crunch and perhaps some crushed potato chips on top for additional texture. I will also double the broccoli**

1 comment:

Jan said...

This looks fab. I'm definitely going to try this, when the weather cools down again.

Pizza Dunkin Style!

We are sick of being disappointed with our local pizzeria's so we decided to make our own pizza.  I searched a bit and found a great...