Saturday, July 7, 2018

Keto Friendly Tom Ka Soup (Tom Kha Gai)

0.

Eating Keto style can be boring, and I don't like boring food, so I decided to try to make my favorite soup, Tom Kha Keto Style and although it was a little work, it was so worth it.  You can certainly use grocery store stock/broth and rotisserie chicken, etc, but I really enjoy the process of making my own broth.

I had leftover whole chicken from Sunday so I boned it, roasted the skin, fat and bones for about 10 minutes on convection roast, you could broil as well, I like the additional flavor it adds.

I then put everything into my Instant Pot, you could also use a slow cooker or crock pot.

I added the following to the pot:

Fresh Lemongrass, 2 stalks peeled and crushed a little to give flavor
Hand of Ginger, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
3 or 4 Thai chili's, green tops removed
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
1/2 white onion
1 whole jalapeno, sliced
Salt

We ran it thru the instant pot twice,  for a total pressure cook time of 2 hours and 5 minutes and used natural release.

Strain broth and let sit overnight, skim fat off the next day if you wish (I did not)

You will need:

1 can full fat coconut milk
1 small can red curry paste (4 oz)
Broth (I think I ended up with about 4.5 quarts)
1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
1 bunch of green onions, sliced
Mushrooms, I like Baby Bellas but you can use what you wish, sliced (2 cups or more)
1 block extra firm tofu, patted dry and cut into cubes
I used the leftover chicken (1/2 cup) and added a chicken breast diced for more protein (I baked it then diced it)
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 equal packets
Cilantro (optional)
2 whole limes
1 Jalapeno sliced (seeds in optional) I did.
1/8 cup chicken base


To make the soup:

Bring your broth to a simmer (works best if everything is prepped)

Add your curry paste, red pepper, chicken base, green onions, mushrooms, tofu, fish sauce, jalapeno, equal packets, bring to a boil, turn down and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Taste and adjust salt if needed.

Turn to low, add the can of coconut milk, and stir (clockwise), then add the chicken, juice of the limes, stir till it is warm enough to eat.  You don't want to boil it with the coconut milk.

I dislike Cilantro but my Hubby loves it, so he added it to his bowl.

**Next time I will also add onion slices to the soup** and use Galangal and Kaffir Lime Leaves in the broth.  


No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...