Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Lemon Ginger Chicken Soup with Orzo


Yet another Sunday Chicken Dinner and I had lots of chicken leftover.  I decided I was going to try something a little different this time when I made Soup.  I added Ginger and Lemon Juice and it was amazing.  I will never make it the old way again.  The Ginger and Lemon added a bit of acidity and freshness.  Instead of regular pasta I used Orzo.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 carrots, sliced
4 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth (I had homemade so I used that)
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cups of spinach
1 cup of sliced mushrooms (I like the Baby Bellas)
1 cup Orzo
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper, to taste


Directions:

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onions and garlic and saute for minute or two until softened.

Add broth, ginger and half of the lemon juice and let come to a simmer for 10 minutes or so.

Add your carrots, celery, mushrooms and chicken and simmer for 30 minutes or so.

PRO TIP:  I place a small sieve or colander into the broth and cook my Orzo in it, then remove it and set aside.  If you leave the pasta in, it will suck up a bunch of broth and make it more like a stew.

Add your spinach and the remainder of the lemon juice and simmer for another 5 minutes.  Salt and Pepper to taste,

To serve, place some Orzo into the bowl, then ladle soup on top.  Store the Orzo separately from the soup.


No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...