Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Crockpot Chicken Stock




In the Fall and Winter months my husband refers to me as The Soup Nazi, not very Politically Correct, but you get the drift.  I love making soup, stews and breads in the colder weather.  I rarely use broth/stock out of a can, I prefer to make my own, it is so dang easy and you control what goes into it.  

Every time we have a Roasted Chicken dinner, I know the next day I will be picking the meat off and making stock.  I have always done it the old fashioned way on the stove top.  A gal at the Farmers Market told me to try it in the Crock Pot and I am glad I did, it was way easier and ever tastier if that is even possible!  YUM!
 
1 chicken frame, include skin, bones and everything remaining after picking meat 
2 stalk celery & leaves
1 onion, quartered
1 carrot, in chunks
1-2 garlic cloves
1 tbl whole peppercorn 
1 tbl salt
2 bay leaves which you will retrieve later
cold water
After eating the cooked chicken for the original chicken dinner pick all meat from bones and reserve

Break the bones apart so that they'll fit better into the crock pot

Put bones, skin, and fat from the chickens into your slow cooker/crock pot, add vegetables

Add cold water until crock pot is full to 1 1/2 inches below the rim

Cook on high 4 hours and then on low for another 6-8 hours or overnight

Strain the stock through a colander or cheesecloth and chill to solidify the fat for easy removal

Portion out and freeze stock in whatever quantities suit your needs.

Tip -- Be sure that the water is COLD
Tip -- I save the plastic containers Chinese Food Soup comes in and use those for my stock, they work perfectly.

No comments:

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...