Tuesday, October 15, 2013

American Chop Suey Dunkin Style!


I kept reading about American Chop Suey on the Blog Sphere and wondered exactly what it was, some Americanized Chinese Food?  I Googled it and found that it is basically Spaghetti with Elbow Macaroni.  

Some people added Celery, some Mushrooms, everyone seems to have their take on what it good.  

I did my usual and looked at a bunch of recipes to get some ideas and took it from there.  It is a very satisfying meal on a cold rainy evening.  I served with Garlic Bread!

Olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped (I hate the green ones)
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb ground beef (I used Free Range, Grass Fed which is a bit leaner)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
kosher salt
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 good quality red wine
1 pinch sugar
1 lb elbow macaroni
5-6 Crimini Mushrooms, ends removed and sliced

Directions:

In large pot over medium heat using 1 tablespoon of of oil, start your ground beef cooking, about 1/4 of the way thru add your onions, red bell pepper and garlic, cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is done, about 7 minutes until no longer pink.

Toss herbs and pepper over the meat mixture, add salt to taste, and stir until well mixed. 
Add canned tomatoes with their juices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, mushrooms, and wine. Add sugar to taste. Simmer gently while you prepare the pasta.

Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil over high heat. Add macaroni and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain the macaroni and add to the meat mixture, mix well and serve hot.
 
I added some freshly grated Parmesan on top before serving.

Serve hot with Garlic Bread

2 comments:

Golden Sun Restaurant said...

Never tried this chop suey before. Reminds me of a fabulous resto I used to frequent before I got too busy managing a Chinese Restaurant in Capalaba area. You just inspired me to go out more!

Anonymous said...

I ate this every day for a month and lost 30 pounds! Incredible!!

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...