Copywrited Material

All photos on this website are copyrighted and owned by Cheryl Dunkin. Using photos without permission is Illegal.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Green Onion, Jalepeno and Cheese Souffle




Sorry Blogging World, I have been away for awhile, busy living life and learning about food.  I will never be back to blogging like I used to, but I have decided when the mood strikes I will post something.

I hope all my blogging buddies are well and happy!  I miss you and hope to get around to say Hello!

My husband is the "official" Chef of the weekend and happily whips up gourmet breakfasts for me each weekend.  I am especially fond of the Souffle.  We had some leftover's from a Mexican Dinner, so he decided to use them up in the form of a Souffle.  It was one of the yummiest ones yet!

4 tbl = 1/2 stick butter plus 1 teaspoon
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk, warmed until hot to the touch
6 eggs separated
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
dash Cayenne or 1/2 tsp dry mustard (we use both)
1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan (do not use the stuff in the canister)
1/2 cup grated or crumbled cheddar, jack or whatever kind of cheese you like (for this application we used Pepper Jack Cheese
1/8 cup of diced Jalapenos
1/8 cup of green onions, diced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use the teaspoon of butter to grease a 2 quart souffle dish or other baking dish

Place a saucepan over medium heat and add the remaining butter. When it foams, add the flour and turn the heat to medium low. Cook, stirring the mixture until it darkens a bit, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk a little at a time to avoid lumps. Cook till mixture is thick, about a minute more.

Turn off the heat and stir in the egg yolks, salt, pepper, Cayenne and/or mustard and cheeses/jalapenos and green onions. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt or cream of tartar, just until they hold soft peaks. Stir a couple of spoonfuls of the beaten whites into the batter, and then very gently and not overly thoroughly fold in the remaining whites. Using a rubber spatula or your hand. Be gentle.

Turn the batter into a prepared dish and bake until it has risen and browned on top, about 15 to 40 minutes (the lower timing is for individual ramekins), a single will take 30 minutes or more.

Use a thin skewer to determine doneness, if wet, continue to bake, if just moist it is done.

Serve immediately, it will start to fall in about 1 minute.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Testing!

Blond Duck said...

I've always wanted to try a soufflé!

plumber huntington said...

Thanks so much, I appreciate your work. I like green onion and cheese Souffle.

Plumbers Huntington Beach

Anonymous said...

Love this and it's now a regular in my kitchen. Thank you Cheryl!