Monday, June 27, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


I guess it must be Rhubarb Season because I am seeing it all over the Food Blogs and some very beautiful stalks at the grocery store which I picked up while I was there. I have never made anything with Rhubarb before but I do fondly remember my mom making a Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp when I was a kid which I loved very much!

I took a trip to my local berry farm and got some fresh Oregon berries and proceeded to make quite an amazing dessert with some of our locally sweet berries and tart Rhubarb. A scoop of ice cream or whipped cream and this is even yummier!

I probably won't make this particular recipe again as it is a bit heavy on both the butter and sugar for my tastes, but I definitely will experiment and see if I can make a healthier version for next time!

1 cup white sugar
3 tbsp AP Flour
3 cups strawberries (I left the small ones whole and cut the big ones in half, 3 cups was about 2 pints)
3 cups diced rhubarb (I peeled off as much of the outer skin as I could easily do)
1.5 cups AP Flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup rolled oats
1 tbsp ginger finely chopped
1/2 to 1 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Mix the white sugar, 3 tbsp flour, strawberries and rhubarb well in a large bowl

Pour into a 9X13 greased baking dish (or whatever you have that will fit the berries)

Mix 1.5 cups flour, brown sugar, butter and oats till crumbly (you can use a pastry cutter but I used my fingers)

Crumble on top of the rhubarb and strawberry mixture

Bake 45 minutes in a pre-heated oven or until crisp and lightly browned

Serve alone or with ice cream or whipped cream!

15 comments:

peachkins said...

I haven't tried cooking with rhubarbs..maybe when I see one i will...

Katherine Aucoin said...

Wow Cheryl, looks like you and I both lost our rhubarb cherries! LOL I just post my first rhubarb adventure. I always knew we were in parallel universes!

MaryBeth said...

I love strawberry/rhubarb together..The crisp that we posted 2 weeks ago turned out amazingly delish!

Bethie said...

YUM!! I still have my rhubarb cherry, would glad let it go over that crisp. LOL!!!

Debbie said...

I don't think I have ever baked anything using rhubarb and haven't eaten it since I was a kid. I definitely need to try it again. The combo of using strawberries and rhubarb is a popular one that I need to try already!

A Feast for the Eyes said...

My name is Debby, and I'm a sweetaholic. I'd like this a lot. I don't cook with rhubarb often, but when I do it's paired with strawberries. I love crisps. Love, love, LOVE them! Vanilla ice cream is meant to top this, all melted and ... wow, I'm craving dessert now!
PS: Thank you for your sweet words on my kitty. I knew you'd understand my grief.

Aarthi said...

Hai Dear

This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog...Please check out my blog..It is for food lovers and person who love to cook..You could find so many recipes that you can easily try at home..I update this blog on a regular basis…So please follow me and motivate me..Thank you
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com

Aarthi

A Year on the Grill said...

I am suspicious, never had it, looks too much like celery

However, my wife loves the idea, so soon I guess

Dave

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing in Summer, Cheryl. Not only is this a nostalgic family favorite, it's a not-so-guilty taste pleasure.
Yummo

sophia said...

You can maybe add some cream cheese to the crumble to cut down on fat and sweetness? It might give it a nice tang. :-)

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVE crips.

Marjie said...

I love anything with strawberries. I reserve my heavy cream for whipped cream; that's more than enough calories for me!

grace said...

i usually go for a crisp just for the crunchy topping, but this filling is irresistible. beautiful work, cheryl!

Katie said...

It is the perfect time of year for a strawberry-rhubarb crisp. I just made a delightful one last week. Your crisp looks beautiful!

Donna-FFW said...

Ive never used rhubarb. It is on my culinary bucket list:) Looks fabulous and the topping sounds just perfect!!

Moist Turkey Meatloaf

In our continued effort to eat a little better and keep it "clean", I decided to make Turkey Meatloaf.  In my previous attempt...