Sunday, January 23, 2011

Scallops in a Lemon Cream Sauce



I am not a huge fan of Seafood, there I said it! I like Lobster, Shrimp and Crab and that's about it. I will eat Fish, but I tell my husband it is "punishment food". I noticed our local Haggen's had the large size Scallops on sale for a really good price, and decided to give it a whirl.

In my minds eye I imagined serving them with a simple Lemon Cream Sauce alongside Mandarin Rice. It was very tasty, the Scallops are so easy to cook and the whole meal came together very quickly!

1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 tbl Butter
1/2 Large Fresh Scallops (remove that little white part, just pull it off)
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
1 cup white wine
Fresh Chives

Rinse Scallops and dry them well on a paper towel, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper

Quickly sear them in a screaming hot frying pan with the 1 tbl butter, it should take from 2-3 minutes on each side to get a nice crust, remove and set aside

Add half of the lemon zest to the pan and deglaze with the wine, reduce by half

Add the cream and stir well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes
Add lemon juice and cook for 1 minute

Plate the scallops and drizzle with the sauce and remaining lemon zest

Remove them from the pan and serve

13 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I love shrimp and fish but have only had scallops out once and they were chewy and rubbery so I have never done it again. This version does look much better so maybe if Ed likes them we will give them a try.

Marjie said...

I love lemon cream sauce! I only buy the baby bay scallops, because the price of the big ones is just so stupid! And seafood here is so expensive, despite the fact that we're only 100 miles from the ocean. Grrr.

tamilyn said...

I don't like seafood either, but will eat halibut or tilapia (sparenly) but scallops always look so pretty when I see them on other blogs.....I need to go somewhere that has a tasting menu.....or a cruise for the buffets....!

Anonymous said...

This looks like the absolutely perfect dinner! I'm thinking of making this for Valentine's Day . . . it's so fresh and simple!

teresa said...

excuse me as i wipe the drool off my keyboard, YUMMY! they look like they've been cooked perfectly and i LOVE the cream sauce.

The Blonde Duck said...

Are scallops shellfish?

Anonymous said...

Scallops are shellfish. I tried this recipe Cheryl and it was yummy. Thanks for the post.

grace said...

i'm not crazy about seafood myself, but one surefire way to improve it is to make use of butter and cream!

Unknown said...

Am not a huge fan of seafood either - other than prawns (I LOVE prawns!!) - but those looks absolutely delicious! (But then, everything does on your site!!)

Thanks so much for your lovely comment on Honey's blog recently and for thinking of us!

Hsin-Yi

Pam said...

I love scallops. This dish looks rich, delicious, and so simple to make.

Anonymous said...

I love fresh seafood but rarely cook scallops at home.

This is a dish for me & my husband!

Delectable food!

Tina. said...

Sure miss you on DOT's! Stop by sometime!

Foodiewife said...

Fish as punishment food? LOL! I kinda agree, though...except for salmon and Dover sole. I took a cooking class this weekend, where the chef taught how to sear succulent scallops. Fortunately, I figured it out a while ago. My husband is so-so about scallops. Me? I'm a glutton for them...I love them so. I'll be posting my sauce, which is unique. As for your sauce...heavy cream? Oh, yeah. The lemon is a great addition. This beats a restaurant order that would cost a fortune. I hope you love scallops now!

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...