Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sweet Cola Ribs


My husband is the Master of the Barbecue and now our new Traeger Smoker. He makes some seriously wicked awesome Ribs. I had been watching an episode of Down Home With The Neely's and they used an interesting rub/sauce combo which I asked my husband to try.

Can I just say that those two annoy the hell out of me, with their cutesy ways, enough already!

Anywayyyyyyyyyyyy, the ribs turned out pretty well, but my husbands rub/sauce combo is much better. At least we tried something different!

I made half the recipes as we only cooked a rack and a half of ribs.

Sauce:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups ketchup
1 can cola
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Dry Rub:
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
2 racks pork spare ribs (about 3 pound each)
For the sauce:
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add oil. Once heated, add the onion and garlic and saute until tender. Add all the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.

For the dry rub:
Whisk all dry ingredients together in a small bowl. This can be stored up to 6 months in an airtight container.

For the ribs:
Rinse and dry ribs. Place on a clean cutting board, pull off the membrane and trim the ribs of excess fat. Liberally season both sides of the ribs with rub. Wrap ribs with plastic wrap and refrigerate 4 to 12 hours so flavors can permeate.

Preheat grill to 250 degrees F. using hickory and charcoal. Set up your grill for indirect heat.

Place ribs, meatier side down, on the grill away from the coals. Close grill cover. Cook the pork ribs for 1 hour 15 minutes; flipping several times for even cook. *Coat ribs with Sweet Cola Barbecue Sauce and cook for another 20 minutes.

*Reserve some of the sauce for dipping when the ribs are served

24 comments:

Pearl said...

ooh cheryl - you and your hubby should start your own food network show!
and i think pat & gina neely are adorable! they obviously love eachother so much, but i totally know what you mean; sometimes i'm just like "gah, enough. don't you two ever FIGHT?"

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I'm going to try this and get my husband to fire up the smoker. Why does outdoor cooking make them feel like the master of the universe anyway? I just wish he'd master putting a roll of toilet paper on the holder ;-)

Unknown said...

Heaven on a stick girl! That looks wonderful.

Donna-FFW said...

Cheryl- Is your husbands recipe on here?? Id like to try that one since you liked it better...

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

Katherine,

You're so freakin funny!!

I agree with that couple on t.v. they "can" be annoying...but they do love each other, so I gotta give them props!

These LOOK DELISH! The photography makes me want to lick my screen because I think those bad boys are right in front of me.

Bravo!

Jenifer
J&J DISH

MaryBeth said...

Great job john, they turned out fabulous looking. I saw that episode too. I was at the house when Cheryl was making the sauce and it smelled fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Those ribs sound scrumptious! Yum!

Elyse said...

The ribs look delicious. I'm happy to hear that your hubby's rub is much better than the Neelys's. They are soooo annoying!

Paula said...

Oh my Lord, these look terrific. My husband and son could eat ribs every day for the rest of their lives and never tire of them. I'd love to hear about your hubby's ribs recipe, too. Sounds like the smoker is a keeper, too! Oh, and I cracked up at Katherine Aucoin's t/p comment!

Amy said...

Great looking ribs. I could probably eat a couple of those! Makes me think I should go out and get a smoker......

Debbie said...

I love trying different recipes that use soda. The ribs look great. I'm so glad it's barbeque time again! I watch the Neely's too and of course, Paula Deen!

Sara said...

That is so cool that your husband makes ribs, mine doesn't cook at all, but he does do the dishes :). These look good, would love to see the recipe you like even better.

Pam said...

They sure look good but I am with you the Neely's can get on my nerves too.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've always been curious about Coke and Dr. Pepper BBQ sauces/ cooking. Ben hates coke so he refuses to let me try it with coke, but I have no idea what Dr. Pepper would be like and I'm too scared to waste a huge chunk of meat!

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

I had to come back (again) and look at this! YUMMERS!

Jenifer

Juliana said...

WOW, these ribs look so good! I never use cola? Should try...after all I can see the final product! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Crystal said...

You are hilarious, everytime I see those two on TV, I want to jump through a pane of extremley sharp glass! I must admit I can't change the channel, I just have to see what they cook, maybe I should watch them on mute. Thanks for the great recipe.

Foodiewife said...

You are a very lucky woman to have a grillmaster for a husband. My husband hates cooking, but I am gently trying to coax him into grilling for me, so I can finish up in the kitchen.
Hubby loves ribs (he's from Kansas City, MO) so I've been wanting to try this version. These look luscious!
As for the Neely's... I like their recipes, but I want to run for the insulin with all the "sugah" and sweetie pies. Puhleeze!

Great recipe!

Dewi said...

Perfect post to end the week, you make me want to make it, and enjoy eating this in front of TV. Not a good idea, but hey, it's week end....
Cheers,
elra

Anonymous said...

holy rib! this looks amazing. I think I can drink the sauce straight!

NuKiwi said...

Yep, I could go through a few of those. Looks GREAT! Mmmm...

Sweet Cheeks said...

Man, alive these look good. I read your comment at Netts Nook. Try some tuna girl!

Heather said...

holy crap those sound amazing! i definitely want to try them!

test it comm said...

I like the sound of using cola for ribs!

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...