Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Smoked Turkey Sausage, Asparagus and Cheese Quiche



Who says real men don't eat Quiche, I happen to know quite a few who love Quiche! I think any man, woman or child would love this particular Quiche. This is my second venture without my husband, I created and photographed this recipe!

In fact, if you would come and unplug my garbage disposal I will give you an entire pie! Seriously, I am not sure I can go another week with a plugged disposal! I should have known better than to use it without my honey around to unplug the dumb thing!

Anyway, this recipe makes 2 pies, I made both of them a bit different from each other.

2 pre-made frozen pie crusts (thawed)
12 eggs
1 half pint heavy whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 bunch of asparagus, break the woody ends off and rinse/dry
1 bunch of green onions ends removed and chopped
1 Smoked Turkey Kielbasa (I used Hillshire Farms)
Shredded Cheese (I used Pepper Jack in one pie, and Parmesan/Swiss in the other)
chives, fresh or dried
salt and pepper
1 tsp Tarragon
1 tsp dried mustard
1 Jalapeno seeded and diced (I paired this with the Pepper Jack Cheese Pie) OPTIONAL

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Place both your shells onto a rimmed baking sheet

Slice your sausage into 1 inch disks and brown on each side, set aside.

Place 1/2 of your sausage into the bottom of each thawed pie crust

Add 1/2 the green onion into each and 1/2 the Jalapeno into each (or omit the Jalapeno altogether or put the whole thing into one crust)

Sprinkle enough shredded cheese to cover the pie ingredients

Place your Asparagus in a Wagon Wheel design on each pie

Mix your 12 eggs, heavy whipping cream, milk, salt, pepper, Tarragon, chives and dry mustard, whip the heck out if it.

Carefully and evenly pour into each of the pies

Bake for 1 hour or until the center is set, let cool and serve

21 comments:

Debbie said...

That quiche looks and sounds wonderful. My husband like quiche and so do I. Your picture is beautiful....great job Cheryl!!!

Anonymous said...

Teach Martha to use the plunger...no more problems

Christina Kim said...

Oh boy I could never live without my garbage disposal! I love quiche but have never tried making it at home. For some reason it intimidates me, but yours looks very do-able. Thanks, Cheryl!

Heather said...

ohhh. i love quiche. i never get to make it because nick hates it. i love how you put the asparagus on - so elegant!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

My husband won't do quiche but he can eat leftovers because I am so making these. These not only sound fantastic, but the pictures look wonderful!

Cheryl said...

Just grab a plunger. :-) Not hard, stand on a chair if you have to. ;-)

Anonymous said...

The quiche looks delicious. My dad's been really getting into quiche lately for some reason.

Try getting a snake for the garbage disposal. The last time ours plugged up we had to call roto-rooter. We'd just moved in. It had turned out that the previous ownwer three sons flushed several rolls of dental floss down the drain... which caught everything that went down the disposal....

Pam said...

Excellent photos and beautiful presentation! You did a great job Cheryl!

Jescel said...

that is a very good breakfast (or brunch) treat! my hubby likes quiche, i ought to try this.

Jescel said...

that is a very good breakfast (or brunch) treat! my hubby likes quiche, i ought to try this.

Dewi said...

Most delicious and inviting looking quiche. Perfect for brunch.
Cheers,
elra

Donna-FFW said...

Cheryl, it looks lovely. OH, and I bet sooo good with the asparagus. You take awesome photos. What are you talking about. Its so pretty.

oneordinaryday said...

First of all - what a great combination of ingredients in your quiche!
Second - try pouring a cup of baking soda down your disposal, then follow it with a good dose of vinegar. It's going to fizz and sputter like crazy, but it's a great (green) way to unclog a pipe. It's also going to deodorize it at the same time. Good luck!
Michelle
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/

The Blonde Duck said...

Is it bad I want to likc the screen? I could eat that whole thing!

Sara said...

That is a beautiful quiche! I'm really into asparagus these days.

Netts Nook said...

Cheryl This looks great we love quiche yours looks like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

NuKiwi said...

The top photo is my fav - looks very professional (you go girl!).

Quiche is VERY popular here...but funnily enough they call it egg pie. Then again, they say 'fill-it' rather than 'fill-ay' so, perhaps the pronunciation of quiche is just too much for the Kiwis and Aussies to handle! LOL

MaryBeth said...

I agree...Your pictures are wonderful. Now as you know I am not a veggie fan but I think I really could do this quiche.

Jan said...

Wow, Cheryl, that quiche looks absolutely amazing, both versions sound totally yum. Fabulous job.

It's funny how things go wrong around the house the moment hubby isn't around to sort them out.

test it comm said...

That is an amazing quiche!

Anonymous said...

That looks like a filling quiche, yum!

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...