My husband had been talking about making a baked pasta dish, I am afraid of eating anything with a red sauce as I get horrible heartburn. He said he would make it less acidic and it worked.
It was soo delicious, rich and flavorful. It was a family effort! I started everything while he was on a conference call and he swooped in and made it delicious!
- 1/2 lb Italian pork sausage
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed and minced
- 1 1lb box of Rigatoni (dry) noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of sour cream (I used fat free)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/3 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 3/4 cup Asiago cheese, grated (save 1/4 cup for the top)
- 1 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (save about 3/4 cup for the top)
- 1/2 cup of Cheddar (save for the top)
- 1 tbl fresh or dried Basil
- 1/2 tbl ground Fennel seed
- 1 tbl Oregano (dried)
- 1 tbl Tomato paste
- 1 tbl beef bullion
- 1/2 c dry red wine
- 1/4 c red wine vinegar
Place your sausage and beef in a non stick pan, break apart with your spoon or hands and cook until it seems about 1/2 way done. Drain any excess water/fat and add your onions, garlic and spices. Continue cooking till no longer pink.