Sunday, December 28, 2008

Salsbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy


We were scheduled to get together with our dear friends, and I was planning on making this comfort food meal. Unfortunately, hubbies School project got in the way, so we had to take a rain check. I had already purchased all the ingredients so I decided to make it the next day.

It is based on a Rachael Ray recipe, we doubled the recipe so we would have leftovers!

I served it with Mashed Potatoes Dunkin Style!

2 1/4 pounds ground beef sirloin
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon steak seasoning blend (recommended: Montreal Seasoning by McCormick
salt and pepper to taste
Extra-virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons
12 crimini mushrooms or button mushrooms, sliced
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups beef stock

Combine meat, Worcestershire, onion and steak seasoning or salt and pepper. Form 4 large, oval patties, 1-inch thick.

Preheat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and add the meat patties to a hot pan.

Cook meat 6 minutes on each side until meat is evenly caramelized on the outside and juices run clear. Remove meat and cover with loose tin foil to keep warm.

Add 1 more turn of the pan extra-virgin olive oil and butter to the pan, then the mushrooms. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper and saute mushrooms until tender, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the flour to the pan and cook 2 minutes more. Whisk in stock and thicken 1 minute.

Serve the Steak with the Mushroom Gravy!

22 comments:

Chef E said...

Oh Yeah, one of my favs, and yours looks so good under the gravy blankie!

Chef E said...

PS...send me one of those ding dongs on the right of your blog...please!

Heather said...

man, lady, i would hire you to come live here and cook with me. you make the best comfort food ever!! those mashed potatoes look so, so, so good. this is my idea of a great meal!!

Darius T. Williams said...

Looks good - I need some of this though - lol!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.com

Pam said...

What a tasty meal. I haven't had salsbury steak in years.

Anonymous said...

Yum! The last time I had SalsSteak it was from a Marie Callender's Frozen Meal box. This looks good and hearty. The BF won't eat beef, but I'm thinking this is a really easy dish to make with Ground Turkey, so I'm going to give that a go.

test it comm said...

That looks really good with the mushroom gravy!

Ginger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ginger said...

I am making this for my son before he goes back to college on Saturday. (sad) He is finally recoving from a 7 week stint of mono!! I can't think of a better glad you are feeling better and farewell dinner. Thanks so much for posting!!

Amy said...

I don't think I've ever had homemade salsbury steak but it looks much better than the frozen stuff!

Paula said...

Holy cow, your photos are wonderful! I've not had Salsbury Steak in a long while, and looking at your recipe makes me want to get the pans out right now! Isn't that Montreal Steak Seasoning the best thing ever? They should call it Montreal Everything Seasoning! Looove that gravy!

Brittany said...

Oh man, just say the word mushroom, and I am ALL over it, it looks fabulous!

gaga said...

I haven't had salisbury steak in years! I do love it though. Thanks for reminding me!

MaryBeth said...

I would dive right into this...without the mushrooms that is. Looks very delicious.

Jan said...

Mmmmmmm, looks and sounds yumptious.

NuKiwi said...

Mmmm....

Andrea said...

Im looking to change my recipe a little. I think I will try yours. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I just found this recipe (its 2013 Now!). Salsbury steak is my favorite, I'm doing this for supper as we speak.

Anonymous said...

so happy to have found this recipe..... dinner tomorrow night. Greetings from Imperial MO

Lacey said...

I'm just wondering where u add the stock?

Lacey said...

Just wondering where I'm suppose to add the beef stock?

Lacey said...

Oh my goodness. I've reread this recipe 6 times. I finally see it. My oh my. I'm sorry.

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...