Sunday, November 23, 2008

Fall Crepes


With the Fall weather upon us and it being apple season, I decided to make Crepes topped with an Apple and Craisin compote.

In Oregon, we are well known for our apples, we have a huge variety available locally. I combined Granny Smith and Honeycrisp, the crepes were delicious! and the leftover compote ended up in hot cereal, YUM!

Crepe Batter
  • 1/2 Cup Flour
  • 2 Tbs Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 1 Tbs butter (melted)
  • 1/4 tsp salt

This Recipe makes about 3-4 of the 10" pancakes or two servings

Use a "10-12" round non-stick skillet or frying pan.

First lightly beat the egg in a medium sized bowl, then add sugar, milk, salt and flour, mix well, melt the butter in the frying pan (or skillet) then while stirring the mixture add melted butter to it, continue mixing until there are no lumps, don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.

Once the batter is well mixed, then over medium heat pour just enough batter in the pan to cover the bottom of the pan, cook until the top of it is "dry" then flip the pancake. This takes a fair amount of finesse, as the pancake is large and not very 'tough'.

Get the spatula underneath the pancake and make sure that all around the pancake is loose first, then quickly flip it. After the flip, shake the pan a bit to get the pancake flat

Cook each one for about 30 seconds only after the flip. Slide the finished pancake out onto a dinner plate. I buttered them and rolled them up 2-3 at a time and topped with the compote and powdered sugar.


Apple Compote

  • 2 apples peeled, cored and sliced somewhat thinly
  • 1/2 cup of Craisins
  • Butter (2 tbl)
  • 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
  • dash of salt
Place your apples in a non stick pan, add your butter and saute on medium, if the pan appears to be drying out, add some water. Keep stirring on occasion.

Add your Craisins and brown sugar, a dash of salt. Continue stirring until your apples are tender and the sauce has almost caramelized.

After the Crepes are done, roll them up Jelly Roll style (I butter them before rolling them up) and top with the Apple Compote

Dust on some Confectioners Sugar

I've been tagged to do a meme from Pam at For the Love of Cooking. Thanks for passing it on to me Pam


I am to write 6 random things about myself:


1. I have 3 tattoo's, I would have more if my conservative husband would let me.


2. I cuss. ALOT!


3. I am a Coach Whore, purses galore, and shoes too!


4. I am the youngest in my family, my sis is 10 years older than me, and my brother is 14 years older, I was the surprise baby!


5. I married my high school sweetheart, we met when I was 15, been married 25 years in June.


6. I worked in the Technical Support industry for 13 years before I retired last year.
I tag YOU!

10 comments:

MaryBeth said...

This looks awesome and simply delish!!

Anonymous said...

I will add apples in my shopping list to try your recipe.

Pam said...

What a pretty photo. The crepes sound amazing - I love the apple and craisin compote. Great recipe Cheryl.

Unknown said...

your crepes look so yum... thanks for sharing... :)

NuKiwi said...

I haven't had crepes in ages! Mmmm...

My mom had this weird crepe pan...looked like an upside-down skillet that sat on an electric hot-stand...the way it worked was that you basically dipped the rounded "bottom" into the batter (which was in a pie tin sort of dish) and flipped it over to set it onto the stand to cook on top(only one side because they were so thin) then flopped them out onto a plate.

Love it - my favourite is with loganberries & whipped cream!!!

Darius T. Williams said...

Just fall, huh? I'm thinking this'd be good in the winter, summer, and spring!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Jan said...

I adore crepes. I'm sorry, but they are just so much nicer than pancakes. It's probably a European thing. :-) Your compote sounds fab too.

BTW, I cuss a lot too. Dare one ask where the aforementioned tattoos are?

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

These look so great and I love the fun random info about you!!

Maris said...

These look so good! I never realized that I could so easily make crepes. This sounds like a definite must-try before the end of the winter.

test it comm said...

Apple crepes sound really good. Nice and seasonal.

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...