Sunday, January 25, 2009

My version of Famous Dave's Bread Pudding


My husband and his work mates are in love with something called Famous Dave's Bread Pudding, which they always have when they are in Arizona for business trips.

I have been making bread pudding for years and my husband generally hates it, so I figured I would give this a whirl (I found the recipe on the web) and change it up a bit to see if he would like it.
I made a few changes, and it turned out spectacularly!

Unsalted butter, softened
1 (11/2-pound) loaf cinnamon egg bread (I used Cinnamon Raisin Bread)
2/3 cup golden raisins (since raisins were in the bread already I used 1 cup of golden raisins)
11/2 cups sugar
4 cups milk
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup vanilla extract
8 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Coat the bottom and sides of a 2-inch deep baking dish heavily with butter.

Tear the bread into 1-inch pieces (I took the crust off and cut into 1 inch cubes), mix with the raisins in a bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, milk, 2 cups whipping cream, vanilla, eggs and cinnamon.

Add the bread mixture and let soak for 20 minutes mixing with your hands occasionally

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Place the mixture into the well greased baking dish

You are gonna need a WATER BATH, so find a container that will fit your pan and add enough water to reach halfway up sides of the baking dish.

Bake for 1 hour. (I had to cook for well over the hour the recipe indicated, I removed from water bath and cooked for an additional 30 minutes)

Let stand for 20 minutes. Serve while still warm.

Dave's serves with a Pecan Praline Sauce, I made my own using a jar of Caramel and Toasted Pecans

19 comments:

Dewi said...

Hi Cheril, it's my first time here, I like your blog, it's so neat, and the black back ground is so cool. It makes the photographs really show its beauty.

This bread pudding is a winner. Look utterly scrumptious. I am sure, I'll be visiting often for more delicious recipes.
Cheers,
Elra

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

Anything bread pudding in my book rocks - I am totally weak when it comes to bread pudding - This one looks incredible and easy. I love that kept is easy by topping it with jarred sauce.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm going to try this! My husband hates bread pudding but I love it...we've got a winner!

Pam said...

One of my favorite desserts. Looks rich and delicious.

Jan said...

Bread pudding is a very traditional British pudding, and the only time I have ever made it was at school! Maybe it's time to try again, but I'll have to skip the cinnamon bread.

MaryBeth said...

I love bread pudding...this looks great.

Heather said...

mmmm. when your husband travels, i will gladly be his stand in :D

Sara said...

I just love bread pudding, yours looks fantastic!

Amy said...

I love bread pudding! Looking at yours makes me crave some right now.

Anonymous said...

Great shape! That looks fantastic.

Debbie said...

Hey Cheryl,
I finally got around to blogging about my dogs...you gave me the idea. Let me know what you think...Debbie

Paula said...

You are such a nice wife to create this for your hubby! It looks spectacular! I love bread pudding ... yum, yum, yum!

Julie said...

That looks better than Famous Dave's bread pudding. We went there for our anniversary this past year and I ordered this for dessert. When I lifted up the corner of the pudding, it was really eggy under there, just like it had been plopped on top of some scrambled eggs :P

test it comm said...

That bread pudding looks good!

Maris said...

This sounds so good! I have only had pumpkin bread pudding and love it, but have never tried it plain or with cinnamon raisin.

Anonymous said...

I made this last night and it was absolutely HEAVENLY!!! I decreased the regular milk to two cups. I also added a little extra cinnamon and nutmeg for flavor b/c I didn't have cinnamon loaf bread. I made the praline sauce using the recipe below. Enjoy :o)

Easy Pecan Praline Sauce:
1/4 c. butter
1 c. light or dark brown sugar packed firmly
1 c. toasted pecans
1/2c heavy whipping cream

Melt butter on low
Add toasted pecans and stir for 30 seconds
Add brown sugar and mix until melted
Add cream and stir until smooth
Let simmer on low for 5 min

Viola!

Finding Thyme To Cook said...

Cherly, This is my first visit to your blog. It's a terrific site - glad I found it. The Bread Pudding looks amazing - can't wait to try it. Love getting new blogs to look at.
Cindi @ findingthymetocook.com

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Rather cool site you've got here. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. BTW, why don't you change design :).

How to spatchcock a chicken or turkey!

Finishing some of Cheryl's drafts... Keeping spatchcocking simple. Using a VERY sharp cleaver or kitchen shears -- not scissors, carefu...